The CDC has issued new guidelines for travel, with good news for Americans who have been fully vaccinated. The agency says vaccinated people can travel "at low risk to themselves" as long as precautions like mask-wearing are followed. International travelers should still get tested before and after returning to the U.S. However, CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walansky still recommends against travel due to the uncertainty of rising coronavirus cases. 'Fully vaccinated' means at least two weeks have passed since your final scheduled vaccine dose.
Fully vaccinated people can:
- Visit with other fully vaccinated people indoors without wearing masks or physical distancing
- Visit with unvaccinated people from a single household who are at low risk for severe COVID-19 disease indoors without wearing masks or physical distancing
- Refrain from quarantine and testing following a known exposure if asymptomatic
- Resume domestic travel and refrain from testing before or after travel or self-quarantine after travel.
- Refrain from testing before leaving the United States for international travel (unless required by the destination) and refrain from self-quarantine after arriving back in the United States.
For now, fully vaccinated people should continue to:
- Take precautions in public like wearing a well-fitted mask and physical distancing
- Wear masks, practice physical distancing, and adhere to other prevention measures when visiting with unvaccinated people who are at increased risk for severe COVID-19 disease or who have an unvaccinated household member who is at increased risk for severe COVID-19 disease
- Wear masks, maintain physical distance, and practice other prevention measures when visiting with unvaccinated people from multiple households
- Avoid medium- and large-sized in-person gatherings
- Get tested if experiencing COVID-19 symptoms
- Follow guidance issued by individual employers
- Follow CDC and health department travel requirements and recommendations
Do you plan on traveling once you're fully vaccinated? What trips did you have to miss out on last year?
Photo Getty Images