No matter how smart you are, there are times at work anyone can come off as immature. Not only are we judged by work ethic, but we’re judged by how we present ourselves and how we speak, too. There are some phrases you probably say that make you sound immature, without you even realizing it.
- Filler Words: Using words like “like,” “you know,” and the dreaded “um” too much can make you come off as incompetent.
- Business jargon: If you’re in the corporate world, you’ve definitely heard and used words like “synergy,” “low-hanging fruit,” and “core competency.” But using them too often can make you sound like you’re trying too hard.
- “Hedging Words:” Words like “kind of,” “sort of,” “I guess,” and “just” may make you feel more relatable, but they’re actually distracting.
- “No Worries” or “Not A Problem:” Just say thank you, these can come off as too casual.
- “It is what it is:” A statement like this means nothing. What is it?!
- Profanity: This goes without saying!
For the full list of phrases, click HERE!
Photo: Getty Images