I had my first Wawa Pumpkin Spice Coffee today. In honor of that, here are 5 things you probably din’t know about the pumpkin spice phenomenon:
- The flavor profile has been around for centuries! Pumpkin was a popular ingredient in Native American recipes and the earliest-known "pumpkin spice" recipe was in 1675 with pepper, cloves, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
- The original Starbucks PSL didn't contain any pumpkin! The drink got its name from all the spices that go in a pumpkin pie, but it didn't contain any actual pumpkin until 2015.
- The biggest day for Pumpkin Spice Latte is Halloween.
- Pumpkin spice food products are most popular in California, Oregon, Washington, Ohio, and Utah.
- Some of the STRANGEST pumpkin spice products to ever be created include Pumpkin Spice deodorant, Pumpkin Spice dog shampoo, and Pumpkin Spice SPAM!
Happy (almost) fall!